Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Fleischkuechle (meat pies)

This is my husband's dad's family recipe/ so the Schwarz side- hope you enjoy..

Original recipe-
Meat mixture . . .
• 1 1/2lbs ground beef
• 2 tsp minced onion
• 1 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp celery salt
• 3/4 cup hot water(I use almost boiling and enough to make the meat soft and easily spreadable- this also pulls out some of the fat)

Mix ingredients well.

Dough . . .
• 1 pint 1/2 & 1/2
• 1 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp baking powder
• Enough AP flour to make a soft dough (start with 4-5 cups)

Mix ingredients & let rest 1/2 hour. Heat enough oil to fry- get it hot while you assemble the pies. Divide the dough into pieces the size of 2 walnuts and roll out thin like a pie crust (oblong circle shaped and use flour on the counter so they don't stick).
Put about 2 Tbs of meat mixture onto dough, fold over & pinch tightly to close so they don't break open too badly when frying (they will some anyway, but don't worry).
Fry until golden and meat is done. I usually cut the first one open to determine the cooking time.

**I don't really use a recipe anymore- I make sure the meat smells good and I put pepper in the dough too. I also just use a season salt and add garlic and cayenne pepper too.

Joel likes to bite off one end then drain into a bowl and dip into ketchup. I prefer ranch dressing.
I sometimes add chopped mushrooms. These could probably be baked if you cook the meat first then egg wash the dough, but Joel would not have it that way-- only fried for him!

ENJOY!!


10 comments:

  1. In South América (Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Bolivia, Paraguay) this is an old popular folk food, named "empanada". Comes from the settlemewnt of arabic people in España (Spain)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know them as empanadas as well. Luckily some stores sell the dough.

      Delete
  2. Is surprinsingly see it in a German recipe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Different cultures have their own version of meat pies. We're Schwab's...both sides of hubby's family are full German. And...meat pies are old in any culture. We make this as well. Hubby likes to add a couple pickles to his as he eats them and dips in ketchup. So, it is not surprising at all to us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, there are "Viking" (aka Scandinavian) versions of this, as well. And Scottish! :) I'm going to have to try this crust, though; it looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In reality, Germans are considered Scandinavian, as well. Insofar as the recipe, when I made the mix, it was half ground round and half pork tenderloin (left a little more fat on the pork for flavor). I ran diced red onion -they're sweeter- and similarly cut the celery up in the food processor... just a couple pulses, then sauteed them together, prior to putting them into the mix. I make my own "chipotle pepper" that I season the mix with before putting the mix into the pie crust. The meat is more flavorful, and the pepper has a smoky flavor- from the jalapenos being smoked in mesquite. ~Dave

      Delete
  6. Dave THAT SOUNDS AMAZING !!!!!! I'm so flippin hungry for this now !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made these for the family today. I'm allergic to dairy, so I used dairy-free half and half. The dough turned out well. I added a small minced onion, salt, thyme, pepper, celery seed, and paprika to the beef. Dipping condiments were ranch, bbq sauce, sour cream, direct a, and mayo. The family loved them. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mother added velveeta cheese to these, just a small slice she also deep fat fried these. Use water or egg wash on the outside edge then use a fork to seal them.
    They tasted like cheese burgers.

    ReplyDelete