Thursday, April 19, 2012

Tortellini salad





Hello all! I know it has been a while, but it's been quite a semester. School is almost out and I've started a new job. I move apartments in two weeks! I'm trying to fit a post in between all of that. This is something that we enjoyed at work. Somewhat surprisingly, the boys both liked it too. I used sweet vidalia onion dressing, but honey mustard dressing is really good too. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
Lettuce (I used hearts of romaine because they are my favorite and I generally have them on hand, though when we had it at work I'm pretty sure it was iceberg)
Tomatoes
Fresh mozzarella
Tortellinis (find them in the refrigerated pasta section)
Shrimp (I used frozen cocktail shrimp, but at work they used large shrimp)

You can buy Buitoni refrigerated tortellini for about $7.99 and it cooks for only 9 minutes. I like it because it's so quick! I can make this recipe right when I get out of school around 6:30 and we can eat dinner before 7:00 PM. It also comes in several different fillings. I used the mixed cheese tortellini because the pasta comes in different colors.

Boil the pasta according to package directions.

If you are using frozen shrimp and you didn't defrost them ahead of time, put the shrimp in a colander and run them under cold water until they are defrosted. The salad is meant to be eaten cold so there's no need to heat them up.

Cut up the tomatoes and lettuce and add them to a bowl. I shred the mozzarella by hand but you can cut it up if you don't want to do that. Add the cheese to the bowl.

When the pasta is finished cooking it will have plumped and will be floating. I ran mine under cold water so that I wasn't having hot pasta in my cold salad. Then add both the tortellini and the shrimp to the bowl. Mix and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment